Friday 11 May 2012

I Built Manchester In My Basement

Well, I photocopied it. After reading about 'Starfish Sites'. During WWII, there were nine Starfish Sites around Manchester, on the moors. Built out of cheap materials and lit by a few bulbs, these 'Other Manchesters' were in place to protect the 'Real' Manchester from German bombing raids. They weren't a real success, but I really like the idea of other, less complete versions of the city, out on the moors, unpopulated and empty. The face in  amongst the buildings is Dr John Dee, alchemist, mathematician, scientist and magician. He was Warden of what is now the Cathedral at the turn of the 16th century. There was something about the misdirection and duplicity of the Starfish Sites, and the otherworldliness of them that made me include him. There will be more of Dee in my finished work.

No comments:

Post a Comment